Saturday, May 7, 2011

Phrasal Verbs

Hye everyone :)
In the previous entry, you're asked to fill the gas in the lyric.
All th answers are as below:
1) getting up
2) holding on
3) break out
4) stay out
5) falls apart
6) wake up
7) get into

Based on the answers given, what can you conclude about phrasal verb?
Here, i would like to share with you details about phrasal verbs together with several other examples for your further understanding.

1. A phrasal verbs is a verb + a preposition/adverb which creates a meaning different from the original verb.
Examples:
  • I ran into my teacher at the movies last night. (run + into = meet)
  • He ran away when he was 15. (run + away = leave home)

2. Some phrasal verbs are intransitive. An intransitive verb cannot be followed by any object.
Example:
  • He suddenly showed up. ('show up' = cannot take an object)

3. Some phrasal verbs are transitive. A transitive verb can be followed by any object.
Example:
  • I made up the story. (story is a subject of 'make up')

4. Some transitive verbs are separable. The object is placed between the verb and the preposition.
Examples:
  • I talked my mother into letting me borrow her car.
  • She looked the phone number up.

5. Some transitive phrasal verbs are inseparable.
Examples:
  • I ran into an old friend yesterday.
  • They are looking into the problem.

6. Some transitive phrasal verbs can take an object in both places.
Examples:
  • I looked the number up in the phone book.
  • I looked up the number in the phone book.

7. WARNING! Although many phrasal verbs can take an object in both places, you must put the object between the verb and the preposition if the object is a pronoun.
Example:
  • I looked the number up in the phone book.
  • I looked up the number in the phone book.

  • I looked it up in the phone book. *correct
  • I looked up it in the phone book. *incorrect

p/s: All of the explanations are adapted from http://www.englishpage.com/prepositions/phrasaldictionary.html

No comments:

Post a Comment